Every Sunday I’ll bring you a recap of all the legitimate Red Wings-related transaction and signing rumors from the previous week. I see all this stuff anyway. I figured I might as well share it with you.
• The Red Wings inquired about acquiring Buffalo defenseman Tyler Myers, according to TSN’s Elliotte Friedman. The Sabres wanted Anthony Mantha. Detroit said no. Talks fizzled after that. TSN’s Darren Dreger told a Toronto radio station that he expects Myers to be moved, but maybe not any time soon. TSN’s Bob McKenzie also said that Detroit was one of many asking Buffalo about Myers. MLive.com’s Ansar Khan said he doesn’t think Detroit would trade 2014 first-round pick Dylan Larkin or their 2015 first-round pick for Myers. But McKenzie says that Buffalo is quote “honing in” on Larkin plus another piece as their asking price.
• ESPN/TSN’s Pierre LeBrun confirmed the reports and said the Red Wings asked about Buffalo in the spring. He also mentioned a few other defensemen that could be moved. He said Edmonton’s Jeff Petry has been out there, who grew up in Michigan and played for Michigan State, and that Ottawa has eight one-way contract defensemen, so that could make Patrick Wiercioch or Marc Methot available. Dreger says Petry might be gone sooner rather than later.
Khan says the Red Wings tried to trade for the Petry over the summer. Edmonton wanted Darren Helm. Detroit said no. The Oilers apparently want a center, which Detroit doesn’t have a lot of.
• Another trade target, according to Lyle Richardson, is Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman.
• Freidman said Detroit would be interested if the Panthers started shopping Brian Campbell, despite Campbell not being right handed. SportsNet’s Mike Johnston says the Panthers would probably want a top defense prospect like Nick Jensen or Xavier Ouellet while taking Jakub Kindl off the Red Wings’ hands, but that’s not happening.
• Numerous reports have the Red Wings trying to get rid of Kindl.
• Some other candidates for trade Khan threw out: Washington’s Mike Green, Toronto’s Cody Franson, Winnipeg’s Zach Bogosian. He also said the Red Wings have show interest in left-handed defensemen Keith Yandle of Phoenix and Vancouver’s Alex Edler.
• Daniel Alfredsson chances of returning are dwindling according to Khan.
• ESPN’s Craig Custance notes that talks are quiet on restricted free agents-to-be Brendan Smith and Gustav Nyquist.
• Former Red Wing Ville Leino signed with Medvescak Zagreb of the KHL according to CBSSports.com’s Chris Peters.
• Andy Miele cleared waivers and went to Grand Rapids, while Shane Berschbach was demoted to the Toledo Walleye.
• The Red Wings signed prospect Tyler Bertuzzi to an entry-level contract.
• There’s also a bunch of “Babcock to Toronto” report-type substances, that might or might not be more speculation than reporting.